When Being a Compulsive Shopper Becomes a Drag...

Posted by Unknown at 1:01 PM

About 9 months prior to my wedding earlier this year, I made the vow to not shop anymore. I did pretty good, only breaking my vow on special occasions where cocktail dresses were warranted and when a heavier coat was needed for travel.



Since then I've managed to only go on mini-splurges when traveling or thrifting. However, I've since developed a greater appreciation for the clothes that I currently own and my love for the real, real thrift stores has grown significantly. When you're a true thrifter, it becomes increasingly more difficult to justify spending insane amounts of money on "designer" brands and vintage clothes that are stupidly marked up.



So, one day reality struck. What started happening was, I'd go out and buy an outfit for an event. Wear it. Then go home to my closet and think, "Dang, I forgot about this dress." Which is usually one of my favorite pieces that I don't get enough wear out of. 

(This is just a snapshot of the insane amount of unworn clothes I own)


While I'm not quite as crafty as the New Dress a Day gal, in desperate times I've turned dresses into skirts, dresses into blouses and more. As of Friday, December 10th 2010 I will no longer buy clothes until January 1st 2012. The only exception will be for wedding attire, jewelry, undergarments and shoes (specifically flip-flops...I'm way too rough on them), and the occasional travel necessities. Essentially, I will not be going on any impulsive sprees. Or making any impulsive purchases for that matter. 

Stay tuned for my remixing, self-disciplined and sometimes frustrating journey. I'll also post about my financially liberating experiences;).