UPDATE: Life as a Non-Consumer...Not Even During Fashion Week

Posted by Unknown at 4:02 PM
It's been a while since I've posted about my journey of not shopping in 2011....and oh boy has a lot happened. Good things. For starters, I filmed a segment for KTRK ABC 13's show, Deals. The segment is focused on my  goal to not shop and how I'm reaching it by remixing/up cycling my grandmother's wardrobe. It airs on September 24th.

In addition, I just came back from Mercedes- Benz Fashion Week and was able to stay disciplined in my goal. Well....with the exception of shoes and accessories (which were never a part of the original plan). After a long day of shows, I broke down and bought two pair of ballerina slippers from Forever XXI ($30 total) and one of my dresses had an extremely exaggerated neckline so I was forced to purchase a scarf from TJ Maxx ($20) to avoid any wardrobe malfunctions. Not bad, right? 

Wanna know how I pulled it off? The following is breakdown of my wardrobe during MBFW:


Day 1: This is the above mentioned dress that had a deep neck- line. I was excited to wear it because my first day there was muggy but not quite cold, so I thought the sweater material would make sense. I ended up pairing it with a scarf after realizing how exposed I was and the effect it had on my confidence. No one wants to feel like everywhere they go, eyes are drifting everywhere but to your face...know what I mean? I bought the dress from a thrift store last year for less then $7 and the belt was a gift from my mom earlier this year. Overall, the look ended up being more frumpy than I usually like.



Day 2: The above photo of June Ambrose and I was taken by none other than my Fashion Week Fairy Godfather Kevin Jeffries of Status Management Group. The necklace, a borrow from my friend and client Stacy Robinson-Newton, top- an old tank from American Apparel, skirt- one of my grandmother's. Had it taken it and vow to never part ways from it. It actually garnered the attention of MTV- Germany....the pic above is from a street style segment I did with them.


Day 3: Another thrift store find from a few years ago, I paired it with black booties and of course a chunky silver necklace from Charming Charlie. Chunky necklaces were a staple item for me during the week. Looking back, I wish I would've packed a red belt.


Day 4: The blouse, another vintage piece from my grandma. The skirt, a black lace mini from Express a few years ago- every woman should own a black mini.


Day 5: This outfit actually made Essence Magazine's Street Style gallery. The blouse is yet again one of my grandma's vintage tops paired with shorts that my hubs purchased for me in May. They're from Urban Outfitters. Shoes, belt and glasses...from thrifting over the years.


 Day 6: This is perhaps my favorite look. I love effortless, timeless fashion. Nothing like a simple tank, paired with a chunky necklace and super chic pants. These pants will never go out of style....and even if they do I won't care;). The top is another tank I've had for years from American Apparel, the pants a gift from vintage boutique, Memoirs of Vintage.


Day 7: This was my final day at Fashion Week (tear, tear;)...and this look seemed to be the favorite amongst my Facebook family. The blouse is perhaps my single most favorite piece in my wardrobe and once belonged to my grandmother. Unfortunately, the irony here is...my friends loved the look, but it was awfully painful to wear. Mostly because of the gold belt that was intended for someone with a much more narrow waist line (yes, I'm happy to boast about being a size two now;). Otherwise, I did enjoy wearing it. 

I actually bought the skirt last year during fashion week at H & M. Unlike this year, I made a last-minute decision to attend fashion week, coming directly from Jamaica (long story, different post) and had to buy a few pieces to get me through the week.

Stay tuned for my post on Do It While You're Young (DIWYY) on how to cover fashion week within a budget;).